Perennial lavender is a popular plant amongst gardeners, renowned for its sweet fragrance, beautiful flowers and versatility. However, planting the correct time is crucial for the success of the plant. In this article, we will explore when is the best time to plant perennial lavender.
Understanding Perennial Lavender
Before we get to the planting season, it’s critical to understand the plant itself. Perennial lavender is hardy and resilient, meaning it can withstand a range of weather conditions, including heatwaves, droughts, and frost.
Early spring is an ideal time to plant perennial lavender. Typically, this happens late March to early April when the soil is beginning to warm up, and frost is no longer a threat. This period provides enough time for the plant to establish its roots before the hot summer months when it produces flowers.
Although it’s not the ideal time, perennial lavender can still be planted during the summer months. However, it’s essential to mulch around the plant to ensure that the roots remain hydrated in the hot summer months. One significant advantage of planting lavender during summer is that one can see what the plant is likely to look like when it’s at its best.
Fall is the least recommended time to plant lavender. That said, if you reside in an area with mild winters, planting lavender during this season could work because the soil is still quite warm hence allowing for faster root establishment. It’s important to note that these plants might not grow as vigorously as those planted during the spring season.
Things to note when planting perennial lavender
- Perennial lavender prefers well-drained soil
- It’s essential to plant this herb in a location where it’s exposed to a minimum of six hours of sunlight every day
- Before planting the lavender, it’s important to enrich the soil with compost or manure
- Avoid planting this herb in locations with standing water, as this can lead to root rot
- Keep the plant away from competing weeds, which could create problems with water and nutrient absorption
Lavender Dried Flowers
Planting Perennial lavender requires timing, and in the right season, one can get great results. Remember, early spring remains the ideal time for planting, while late fall is not so recommended. Ensure to keep in mind key factors like soil type, location, and enrichment of the soil to ensure a healthy lavender plant.
- When To Plant Perennial Lavender In Nj?
- When To Plant Perennial Lavender?
- When Is The Best Time To Plant Lavender In Georgia?
- When Is The Best Time To Plant Lavender Hidcote?
- When Is It A Good Time To Plant Lavender?
- When Is The Best Time To Plant Lavender In Australia?
- When Is The Best Time To Plant Lavender In Ny?
- When Is The Best Time To Plant Lavender In Texas?
- When Is The Best Time To Plant Lavender In Uk?
- When Is The Best Time To Plant Lavender Aftergermination?
Last update 2023-06-07. Price and product availability may change.