Lavender is a beautiful and fragrant plant that is easy to grow and maintain. Its lovely purple flower spikes are not only attractive but also have therapeutic properties. Proper pruning is essential to keep the plant healthy and looking good. In this long article, we will discuss when and how to prune lavender.
When to prune lavender
Lavender is a semi-woody plant that grows best in the spring and summer. The best time to prune lavender is in early spring, just as new growth begins to emerge. This is usually in late March or early April. Pruning at this time will encourage new growth and help shape the plant.
How often to prune lavender
Regular pruning is essential for lavender to maintain its shape and prevent it from becoming woody and leggy. In general, pruning once a year in the early spring is sufficient. However, if your lavender is growing vigorously, you may need to prune it again in late summer.
How to Prune lavender
To prune lavender, you will need a sharp pair of pruning shears or scissors.
Steps to prune lavender
- Begin by removing any dead or diseased branches. Cut the branches as close to the base as possible.
- Next, cut back all the stems that have finished flowering. Cut these back by up to two-thirds of their length. I recommend cutting these stems just above the first healthy leaf to encourage regrowth.
- Finally, shape the plant by trimming back the remaining stems. You should aim to create a rounded shape with a slightly tapered profile.
Tips for pruning lavender
- Do not prune too late in the growing season. Late pruning will not leave enough time for the plant to develop new growth before winter.
- Be careful not to cut too much of the stem, as this may damage the plant and inhibit regrowth.
- When pruning, it is essential to maintain a good airflow around the plant. This will help prevent fungal diseases that can develop in humid conditions.
- After pruning, water the plant well to help it recover and promote new growth.
- Over-pruning can harm lavender plants, so always follow the recommended guidelines.
Method Lavender Hand Soap
Air Wick Refill Lavender
In conclusion, pruning lavender is an essential task that should be performed regularly to maintain the plant’s beauty and health. Knowing when and how to prune lavender is essential for the plant’s proper growth and regrowth. Use the tips and guidelines discussed in this article to help you achieve a beautiful and healthy lavender plant.
- When And How To Prune French Lavender?
- When And How To Prune Lavender Bush?
- When And How To Prune Spanish Lavender?
- When And How To Prune Lavender Bushes?
- When And How To Prune Lavender In Australia?
- When And How Do I Prune Lavender?
- When And How Should I Prune Lavender?
- When Is The Right Time To Prune Lavender Plants?
- When To Cut Prune Lavender?
- When How To Harvest Lavender?
Last update 2023-06-07. Price and product availability may change.