Lavender plants are known for their beautiful fragrance and stunning purple flowers. They are a popular choice for gardens in New Zealand, but when is the best time to cut them back? In this article, we will explore the topic of cutting back lavender plants and provide you with some helpful tips and advice.
When should you cut back lavender in NZ?
The best time to cut back lavender in New Zealand is in the spring, once the risk of frost has passed. This is usually around late September or early October. Spring is the perfect time to prune your lavender plants as they are starting to come out of their winter dormancy and are beginning to produce new growth.
Another time to consider cutting back your lavender is after it has finished flowering. This is usually around December or January in New Zealand. Pruning the plants after they have finished flowering can help to promote a second round of blooms.
Avoid cutting back in winter
It’s important to avoid cutting back lavender plants in winter, as this can cause damage to the plant. Lavender plants are dormant during the winter months and cutting back during this time can lead to weakened growth and even death.
How to cut back lavender plants
When cutting back your lavender plants, it’s important to use sharp, clean pruning shears. Blunt or dirty shears can damage the plant and introduce disease. Follow these steps to cut back your lavender plants properly:
- Begin by removing any dead or damaged wood.
- Next, prune back the plant to no more than two-thirds of its original size.
- Avoid cutting into the woody part of the plant as this can cause damage.
- After pruning, shape the plant into a neat, rounded shape.
- Finally, water the plant well to promote healthy new growth.
Cutting back lavender plants is an important part of keeping them healthy and looking their best. As we have discussed, the best time to cut back lavender in New Zealand is in the spring or after flowering. Always use sharp, clean pruning shears and avoid cutting back during the winter months. With a little care and attention, your lavender plants will continue to thrive year after year.
Lavender Baby Shampoo
Doterra Lavender Roll On
- When Do You Cut Back Lavender Nz?
- When Do You Prune Lavender Plants In Nz?
- When To Cut Back Lavender Nz?
- When And How Do You Cut Back Lavender?
- When Do You Prune Lavender In Nz?
- When Do You Cut Back Lavender Flowers?
- When Do You Cut Back Lavender Plant?
- When Do You Cut Back Lavender Australia?
- When Do You Cut Back A Lavender Bush?
- When To Cut Lavender Back Nz?
Last update 2023-03-31. Price and product availability may change.