Lavender is a perennial herb known for its soothing fragrance and beautiful purple flowers. It is a low-maintenance plant that can thrive in a variety of climates and soil types. One of the most common questions gardeners ask is when and how should they cut their lavender back? In this article, we will answer this question in detail.
When Should I Cut My Lavender Back?
Lavender should be pruned twice a year – once in the spring and once in the fall. The timing of the pruning depends on your location and climate. In areas with mild winters, spring pruning can be done as early as late February or early March. In colder climates, wait until early April when the threat of frost has passed.
Fall pruning should be done after the lavender has finished blooming, usually around late August or early September. This will help prevent woodiness and keep the plant compact and healthy.
How Should I Cut My Lavender Back?
When pruning your lavender, follow these simple steps:
Use clean and sharp shears or pruners to avoid damaging the plant.
Cut the plant down to at least one-third of its height. This will encourage new growth and prevent the plant from becoming woody.
Remove any dead or damaged branches or stems.
Trim the plant into a rounded shape to encourage bushiness and keep it from becoming too tall and leggy.
Tips for Pruning Lavender
- Don’t prune lavender in the winter as the cold weather can damage the plant.
- Avoid cutting into the woody part of the plant as it won’t regrow.
- Don’t cut back into the old wood, only cut back to just above the new, green growth.
- If you’re unsure about how much to prune, start with a light trim and gradually cut back more as needed.
Toms Lavender Deodorant
Lavender Smudge Stick
Lavender is a beautiful plant that can add a touch of elegance and fragrance to any garden. Pruning is an important part of caring for your lavender plant and should be done twice a year. Now that you know when and how to prune your lavender, you can enjoy a healthy, vibrant plant for years to come.
- When Can I Cut My Lavender Back?
- When Should I Cut Back My Lavender Plants?
- When Can I Cut Back My Lavender?
- When Do I Cut Back My French Lavender?
- When Should I Cut Back My French Lavender?
- When Can I Cut Back My Spanish Lavender?
- When Should I Trim Back My Lavender?
- When And How Do You Cut Back Lavender?
- When To Cut Back My Lavender?
- When Should I Cut Down My Lavender?
Last update 2023-05-30. Price and product availability may change.